are three types of fossil fuels. They are coal, oil, and natural gas. They are not renewable sources of energy.
This means that there is not an unlimited supply of fossil fuels. Fossil Fuels are formed from animals or plants that
lived millions of years ago. These are found in deposits underneath the earth.
Electricity can be produced by coal, natural gases, and oil. The fossil fuel is burned
in a broiler, and it creates steam. The steam is able to do work specifically able to turn the rotor. When it
rotates electricity is created. Coal is currently the number one fuel that is being burned. About 50%
of our electricity comes from coal. Between the three fossil fuels they generate about 67% of our electricity.
Pros of Fossil Fuels
- Large amount of energy can be made for a fairly cheap price.
- Energy can be created anywhere as long as you can transport coal, oil, or natural gases there.
Cons of Fossil Fuels
- A lot of fossil fuels are needed to create enough electricity for all of us.
- Fossil Fuels are not renewable, and eventually we willl run out of them.
- When they are burnt carbon dioxide can be created which is part of the "greenhouse effect", and when
certain fossil fuels are burnt sulfur dioxide can be created which causes acid rain.
Picture of Oil Drilling.